Who is CRIN?
The Clean Resource Innovation Network (CRIN) is a group of forward-thinking oil and gas industry professionals, innovators, financiers, policy makers, incubators & accelerators, academics and students committed to the success of the hydrocarbon energy sector, the people and communities that it touches, and a strong, carbon-competitive and diversified Canadian economy.
We are comprised of individuals, and companies of all sizes. We represent a network of highly successful industrial and regional resources, capital, and talent; our participants and impacts are global in nature. CRIN builds on a longstanding Canadian innovation success story and positions the energy industry for further success in the 21st century through a determined focus on accelerated commercialization of technology and innovation.
Canada is the Global Leader in Producing Clean Hydrocarbon Energy from Source to End Use.
- Individuals and organizations across the oil and gas sector have a key role to play in addressing the challenges posed by climate change.
- The application of technology and innovation is essential to make the hydrocarbon energy sector more effective, efficient and carbon competitive.
- Collaboration results in better opportunity identification, faster problem-solving, increased leveraging of financial and intellectual resources and improved technology and innovation solutions.
- When technology and innovation development resources are focused on problems and opportunities, they will have a greater impact on industry performance and SME development, growth and prosperity.
- The societal benefits of new and better technology and innovation will be far greater when the sector works together for effective, rapid and responsible deployment.
- When industry priorities and goals are well communicated, this allows the network to leverage resources (skills, expertise and funding) to advance and accelerate results.
- Society will benefit from an innovation ecosystem that is financially sound, technically leading edge, diverse, and socially and environmentally responsible.
There are many groups, companies (small, medium and large), universities, research institutions, governments and individuals who are trying to make a difference in this space. We believe we can be more efficient and advance our goals much faster if we are working more closely together.
Letters of Commitment
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited
- Suncor Energy Inc.
- Cenovus Energy Inc.
- MEG Energy Corp.
- NAL Resources Management Limited
- Conoco Phillips Canada
- Shell Canada Limited
Letters of Support
- Alberta Innovates
- Calgary Economic Development (CED)
- Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA)
- McGill University
- Memorial University
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT)
- National Optics Institute
- Queens University
- Saskatchewan Research Council (SRC)
- University of Calgary
- University of Regina
- University of Toronto
- University of Waterloo
Letters of Endorsement
- Black Rush Gold
- Cap-Op Energy
- Field Upgrading
- geoLOGIC Systems
- Honourable Perrin Beatty
- Process Ecology
- Honourable Jason Krips
- Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance (COSIA)
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP)
- Petroleum Technology Association of Canada (PTAC)
- Alberta Economic Development and Trade
- Natural Resources Canada
- Evok Innovations
- Innovate Calgary
- Digital Oil and Gas
- Hydrocarbon Extraction
- Methane Monitoring, Quantification and Abatement
- Low to Zero Carbon Hydrocarbon End Use
- Land and Wellsite Remediation
- Water Technology Development
Building on a history of collaboration & innovation
Alberta Oil Sands Technology and Research Authority (AOSTRA) pioneered many of the technologies used within in-situ SAGD projects through a collaborative partnership between the Alberta government, federal government, academia and industry. Since 1995, significant industry investments in innovation focused on enhancing operational efficiencies, horizontal drilling, tailings management and multi-stage fracking (shale gas) to name a few.
A strong value proposition
CRIN will accelerate the development of ground-breaking solutions by establishing industry priorities and connecting innovators within the ecosystem (researchers, investors, SMEs, governments, NGOs, other innovators) and resources (funding, talent, labs, and facilities) to focus on world leading environmental performance and cost competitiveness. This will ensure Canada’s continued prosperity with new high-skilled, high-value jobs and produce economic diversity through spin offs and enhanced technology exports.